- Avocados– contain high levels of L-glutathione, which protects cells against free radical damage, soothes systemic inflammation and repairs gut health, therefore reducing triggers for asthma attacks.
- Broccoli Sprouts– a recent study found that those who ate broccoli sprouts had an increase in anti-inflammatory antioxidants associated with bronchial asthma.
- Apples– contain quercetin which acts as an anti-histamine, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory. Make sure to always buy organic apples, as conventionally grown apples are at the top of the pesticide contaminant list!
- Bananas– one of the best sources of vitamin B6, which plays a critical role in producing molecules to relax bronchial tissue.
- Ginger– a powerful anti-inflammatory for the whole body, ginger is a kitchen staple for those dealing with asthma. Ginger is often said to be more effective than Benadryl at relieving airways and reducing inflammation, and as it has no harmful side effects, it can be added to your everyday routine.
- Spinach– high in magnesium, a mineral whose deficiency has been linked with asthma. Spinach is also high in potassium, a deficiency of which can further irritate asthma symptoms.
- Rosemary– contains rosmarinic acid, a plant polyphenol with strong anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Rosmarinic acid also encourages the production of prostacyclins, which aid in keeping the air passages of the lungs open to promote easy breathing.
- Sunflower Seeds– loaded with vitamin E, potassium, and magnesium, these little seeds should be a staple snack for those with asthma. Sunflower seeds are the least likely seed in the nuts and seeds group to cause allergic reactions, which is good news since a lot of asthma cases are associated with allergies!
- Sweet Potatoes– Another least likely allergy food, sweet potatoes are incredibly nutritious, providing beta-carotene, vitamin C, and potassium.
- Kale– disarms free radicals, preventing them from causing contractions of airway muscles, while providing an excellent source of vitamin C.
- Turmeric– one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory ingredients in existence, turmeric dilates blood vessels, relaxes muscles, and keeps swelling of the lungs and airway passages at bay.
- Mustard Greens– aids in the breakdown of histamines and fights free radicals that cause airway disruption.
Eat and breathe easy!